In order to upskill and ensure the understanding of the challenges and opportunities to be addressed for a sustainable Blue Economy across the Black Sea, BRIDGE-BS conducts a range of educational and capacity-building activities. With this aim, a summer school is organized by targeting graduate students from the Black Sea riparian countries on 23-25 August 2022 (for a total of 4 days, including the arrival day), hosted by one of the facilities of the Istanbul University (IU).
The courses provided during the summer school will cover the main aspects related to the Black Sea ecosystem and six prominent economic activities for a sustainable Blue Economy in the Black Sea [marine living resources (fisheries and aquaculture), transport, tourism, energy, and biotech.
- Equip graduate students with theoretical and practical skills to address issues faced by a sustainable Blue Economy in the Black Sea with a specific focus on the Blue Economy initiatives and key actors existing in the region (Common Maritime Agenda for the Black Sea, Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda Black Sea Commission and Black Sea Economic Cooperation),
- Diversify possible career pathways for the next generations of practitioners in the sectors,
- Widen next generation’s comprehension and appreciation of fundamental marine ecosystem functioning, challenges, and opportunities for its preservation,
- Learn about opportunities in sustainable innovation and policy support across relevant marine and maritime sectors in the Black Sea as well as other EU sea basins,
- Foster professional and educational networks and international partnerships that can improve activities in support of sustainable blue growth,
- Stimulate actions for preservation and sustainable exploitation of the Black Sea ecosystem,
- Improve professional skills for the development of the marine and maritime sectors in the Black Sea, as well as ocean governance, in support of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Date and Venue
23-24-25 August 2022 at Istanbul University in Istanbul, Turkey
- Fill out an online application form
- Submit an up-to-date CV or resume that shows your educational background and work experience
- Provide a statement of support from the student’s institution/university
- Deadline: 30 June 2022
Fees, Costs, and Visa
- All selected participants will attend the summer school free of charge and in person.
- Selected participants’ accommodation (4 nights in shared dormitories: 2-people of the same gender), lunches, and some dinners will be covered by Istanbul University.
- Subsistence costs in Istanbul for the duration of the training, are borne by the participants.
- All participants are responsible for complying with the entry requirements to Turkey. Participants who need to be in possession of a visa should organize their visa procedure and cover the costs of granting it. Istanbul University and BRIDGE-BS Project support the accepted candidates with an invitation letter.
- Accommodation and travel arrangements will be organized by Istanbul University for the selected students.
Selected applicants will receive confirmation and further practical details. Please do not make any travel arrangements before you receive the confirmation email.
Candidates should fulfill the following conditions:
- Only graduate students o any discipline related to the Blue Economy (economy, research, and/or policy) will be considered;
- Candidates should be graduate students from Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Moldova, Turkey, and Ukraine;
- Candidates should have a good working knowledge of English (level B2 or higher);
Please note that: we offer introductory lessons on the main concepts and practices related to the sustainable blue economy and the themes relevant to the Black Sea region. This year, the summer school will focus on the following blue economy topics: marine living resources fisheries and aquaculture, transport, tourism, energy, and biotechnology as well as introduction classes: Introduction to Oceanography, Resilience of Ecosystems, Policy Framework.
Full accommodation, travel, and catering expenses of the summer school participants will be covered by Istanbul University.